TOYOTA’S current Corolla sedan will remain
on sale for up to 12 months after the launch of the next-generation
hatchback version in October, as the two models are further
differentiated to meet diverging global tastes.
Already one of the oldest models in its segment in Australia, the
2007-vintage three-box small-car stalwart will have to fend off
formidable all-new versions of the Nissan Pulsar, Mitsubishi Lancer and
Kia Cerato, let alone its established Mazda 3, Holden Cruze, Ford Focus,
Subaru Impreza, Hyundai Elantra and Honda Civic sedan enemies.
And in a further setback for Toyota sedan fans, the existing three-box
Yaris, which first appeared as the Belta in Japan in 2005, will not be
replaced at all when production ceases sometime within the next two
years.
Speaking to GoAuto at the launch of the 86 sportscar in Canberra this
week, Toyota Australia product planning division manager Greg Gardner
revealed that Toyota’s light and small car emphasis would concentrate on
growing its hatchback market share against the incessant tide of fresh
rivals.
To that end, the 11th-generation Corolla hatch – expected to be coded as
the 160 Series – will undergo a major redesign that moves away from the
upright design of today’s style, for a lower-slung silhouette featuring
sharper lines and more contemporary surfacing.
Left: Japanese Corolla Axio. Below: Corolla hatch.
It
will be the second Toyota small car conceived primarily for European
consumption as the Auris, and is set for a global unveiling at the Paris
motor show in late September – just weeks before its local debut at the
Australian International Motor Show in Sydney on October 18.
The outgoing E150 Auris/Corolla hatch surfaced at the same French
exposition exactly six years ago, but arrived in Australia at the same
time as the E140 Corolla sedan in the middle of 2007.
Although the current Corolla hatch and sedan share no body or interior
panels, it is speculated that their respective E160 series replacements
will diverge even further this time around, as a result of different
project chief engineers at the helm.
Mr Gardner also confirmed that the Axio sedan and its Fielder wagon
counterpart unveiled in Japan last month, which wear the Corolla badge
as a prefix, are altogether different, smaller and lighter vehicles
designed and engineered for the Asian region with engines ranging from
1.3 to 1.8 litres.
It is believed that Toyota Australia will instead take the upcoming
US/Canadian-market Corolla sedan, which boasts larger dimensions and a
design that mirrors the squarer-cut stance of the new Camry.
“I understand that the car you are referring to is different to the next-generation Corolla sedan,” he said.
“The Corolla sedan for Australia will follow about a year after the hatch is launched later on in 2012.”
Meanwhile, with the Axio expected to take its place in Asian markets,
the existing Yaris sedan will not be renewed in line with the XP130
hatch launched late last year in Australia.
With sales always at a fraction of those of its two-box counterpart
since being released Down Under in 2006, it is unclear whether the Yaris
sedan will eventually be replaced by another similarly sized vehicle in
the Toyota range.
While a number of smaller, sub-B segment economy models exist within the
Daihatsu as well as the Toyota ranges, none are fitted with all of the
safety gear required to achieve a Euro NCAP five-star safety rating,
precluding their sale in Australia.
“There are alternatives … but none achieve five stars … and we would be hounded for that,” Mr Gardner said.